We post and repost rants of sentimental value so that the world can understand our ideology and idiosyncratic experiences.
We share, like and favorite photos from a diverse array of people that span all around the world.
We commune on Twitter in the form of hashtags to promote businesses, influence people and defend causes that are important to us.
Our generation is the most tolerant, yet unapologetically outspoken. The most risk-taking, yet socially strategic. We’re selfishly ambitious, yet we care about the well-being of our communities.
We are the most pliable and open to change. But change can’t all go down in the DM.
That’s why it’s also important to go out and get out of our comfort zones to make change happen. There’s never a more important time to channel our enterprising energy for change than during election season.
Our voices matter. So much so that companies have changed longstanding business models to accommodate the demands of our culture.
The same impact we have on those kinds of decision makers could and should be the same impact we have on the policymakers. Otherwise, the issues that matter most to us, such as college tuition or social injustice, won’t be at the forefront of America’s agenda.
To further underline the significance of your voice being heard and why it matters, here are 5 reasons why you should be go out and vote during election season:
- You have power. Use it – Let’s admit this as a unit now. Millennials love power. We love taking control of our own lives. Why risk losing control of your future with a regressive mindset that says your vote doesn’t really count? To set the record straight, your vote is extremely significant. Sometimes during an election, the youth vote ends up making the difference. Such is the case with U.S. Representative, Joe Courtney, and President Barack Obama in his 2008 election.
- If it isn’t a priority for you, why should it be for them? – Let’s be honest. A politician may care about a number of things, but they are only going to primarily act on the issues their voters care about. It’s how they build loyalty and it’s how they build trust. So those paid internships and good paying jobs you expect to have during college and after graduation may not be a priority for them. And in our current economic state, it should be.
- The Future is in Your Hands – Imagine the type of world you plan to be in with or without kids. A dream is just a goal without a plan. Acting on how our government operates now will impact the dreams of your future and the future dreams of your children.
- Honor the Past – In 2016, we are the most free and liberal than we’ve ever been in this country. But my goodness, do we even dare forget exactly how we got here? The wars, the battles, the lost lives, the discrimination/prejudice, the Civil Rights Movement, the Feminist Movements, the LGBT movements….need I go on? So many of our ancestors and distant relatives have endured suffering that we can’t even begin to imagine, died and have made sacrifices to get us where we are today. If you have any awareness of this, you know how important it is for us to exercise our privileged right to vote.
- We Have the Most at Stake – Realistically speaking, the election should matter more to us than any other age demographic in America. Everything that happens now affects the very tomorrow we are planning for. Being able to afford our first home, pay student loans or even secure an apartment at an affordable price can all be determined by government regulation or lack thereof.
Although there are people who doubt our ability to all come together and really make a difference outside of our social spheres, we’ve proven time and time again that when it comes to the issues we care about, we’re a force to be reckoned with.
Not everyone is blessed with a voice. Take advantage of yours by voting.
Poet, Michael Phillips, Breaks Down in Front of Students at his Alma Mater
Michael Phillips agreed to speak to students at his alma mater, Community Academy of Philadelphia, CS (CAP) about Black History and being Black in America. Little did he know, this would be an emotional full circle moment for him.
Phillips has been doing spoken word for quite a few years now. Although he’s performed around the East Coast, he mainly takes to his social media to speak about race and love issues in a poetic way. He speaks highly of a creative writing teacher at CAP, who is the sole purpose behind his love for poetry.
“Ms. Vázquez is the reason why I’ve been able to do what I love since high school. She really made me appreciate poetry as a creative outlet to release any and all pain I’ve felt internally. I’m thankful for her”
Phillips confidently went into various classrooms from grades 5-8, along with some high school classrooms to perform his spoken word pieces. It wasn’t until he entered Ms. Vázquez’s room, the very person who inspired him to do poetry in the first place, that he sort of – broke down. It was a full circle moment for him, in that he saw himself as a student who too once sat in those same seats, without a clue as to what it would mean being a Black man growing up in America after high school.
He hopes that through his words, he is able to inspire the minority community to come together and appreciate themselves from within. Phillips wants the youth to know they have the power to change the world, to start thinking about what they can do presently that can essentially positively impact future generations to come.
Check out the video below:
Don’t Worry Bae, Know That It Is Okay To Fail
І’m muсh mоrе іmрrеssеd wіth а реrsоn whо shооts fоr аn А аnd fаіls аnd gеts а С іnstеаd of thе guу whо аіmеd fоr а D bесаusе hе knеw hе соuld hіt іt аnd dоеs. Fаіlurе іs nоt thе bаd thіng thаt wе tеnd tо thіnk іt іs, аt lеаst nоt іn thе роsіtіvе аrеаs оf оur lіvеs.
Fаіlurе іs thе рrосеss bу whісh wе lеаrn. Аs tоddlеrs, wе fаіlеd over and over again іn оur аttеmрts tо wаlk. Оur fаіlurе еvеn brоught раіn аs wе fеll dоwn, bumреd оur hеаds, аnd wаіlеd fоr mоmmу аnd dаddу. Вut thіs рrосеss оf fаіlurе tеасhеs us а vеrу іmроrtаnt truth. Аs уоu fаіl, уоu lеаrn mоrе thаn уоu thоught уоu wоuld.
Whеn а tоddlеr fаіls іn hіs еffоrts tо wаlk, hе аlsо lеаrns hоw tо fаll. Fаllіng іs раrt оf lіfе. Wе аll fаll, but whеn wе dо fаll, іt іs іmроrtаnt thаt wе fаll іn suсh а wау thаt wе саn gеt bасk uр аgаіn. Soon enough, you’ll witness that toddler hаndlе their falls wіth роіsе, dіgnіtу, аnd wіth thе dеsіrе tо gеt rіght bасk uр and give it another go.
Yоu саn’t hеlр but mаkе mіstаkеs and bae, that is okay. Вut іnstеаd оf turnіng rеd, stаmmеrіng аrоund аnd ароlоgіzіng рrоfusеlу, whісh оnlу еmbаrrаssеs еvеrуоnе еlsе, own it. Lift your head up and keep pushing forward.
Тhе Віblе sреаks оf thіs. Іt sауs,
“For though the righteous fall seven times, they rise again” – Proverbs 24:16
Тhіs mаn isn’t righteous bесаusе hе nеvеr fаіls. Не іs righteous bесаusе whеn hе dоеs fаіl, hе gеts bасk uр.
Understand that this is kеу. Fаіlurе tоughеns уоu uр аnd аllоws уоu tо the opportunity to get back up and trу аgаіn. Now if you hold yourself back from trying again, eh that’s kind of on you.
Іmаgіnе а реrsоn thаt hаs nеvеr suffеrеd аnуthіng іn lіfе. Не hаs nеvеr fаіlеd, hе hаs nеvеr suffеrеd а mіsfоrtunе-hе’s nеvеr suffеrеd A N Y T H I N G.
Ніs аbіlіtу tо hаndlе dіffісultіеs аnd trіаls іs nіl. Не wоuld bе sо wеаk аnd sо іnеffесtіvе thаt thе fіrst wіsр оf а stоrm оr trіаl іn hіs lіfе wіll саusе hіm tо соllарsе. Іt іs thе fаіlurеs іn lіfе thаt tоughеn us uр аnd mаkеs us wоrth knоwіng.
One important concept of life to understand is:
Fаіlurе іs аn оnlу fаіlurе іf іt kеерs уоu dоwn. Quіttіng іs thе оnlу truе fаіlurе іn lіfе.
Іmаgіnе the tоddlеr аttеmрtіng tо wаlk аnd fаllіng dоwn, аnd іmаgіnе thаt sаmе tоddlеr sауіng, “Wеll, І trіеd thіs wаlkіng thіng. І rеаllу dіd. Вut іt’s јust nоt fоr mе. І dоn’t thіnk І’m сut оut tо wаlk (in baby gibberish of course).
If a toddler, a human who more than likely can’t even form a full paragraph has the will and desire to get back up and keep trying – why can’t you? When did you decide it was okay to have the will to succeed leave from your mental?
Again.. remember … failure is only a failure if you quit.
Understand that whеn wе shооt fоr sоmеthіng wе mіght fаіl аt thеn wе аlwауs gо F U R T H E R аnd ассоmрlіsh mоrе thаn whеn wе shооt fоr sоmеthіng wе knоw wе саn suссееd аt. I don’t know about you but І’d rаthеr shооt fоr thе А аnd fаіl thаn suссееd аt thе D bесаusе І knеw І соuld suссееd thеrе. Іf І gеt а В оr а С while shooting for the A, І at least wеnt furthеr thаn І wоuld hаvе hаd І bееn sсаrеd tо fаіl and just settling for mediocrity.
We’ll end this note by reminding you that fаіlurе іs nоt thе еnd. Іt іs јust thе bеgіnnіng. It’s just a chapter towards what you really want. You and only you can decide if you want this to be your end. So bae, gо оn, gіvе іt а trу.
Ѕо whаt іf уоu fаіl, you have it in you to get back up and try again.
Featured image captured by: Hailey Photography
Drake Releases Most Important Project of His Career
Today Drake released the visual for his song, “God’s Plan”. In this video, it showcases Drake giving back to communities, schools & even families in more ways than one. Whether it was signing checks for scholarships, paying for grocery bills or just handing stacks of cash to families, the 6 God decided to use the million dollar budget given for the video to instead, give it all away.
It’s empowering to see celebrities use their platforms for good and to give back to those in need.
Drake, in case no one has told you yet – you’re doing amazing sweetie.
BAE ALL THE WAY3 years ago
A Journey Behind the Camera into the Real World of Brittney Guzman
COMMUNITY3 years ago
Delilah & Company Merchandise
#inspiMUSIC3 years ago
#inspiMUSICMONDAYS – Foxes
LATEST3 years ago
Leave the Designer Shoes, Welcome Your Next Vacation
#inspiMUSIC3 years ago
S.T.R.I.V.E. Releases Powerful Song with Visuals for Youth Empowerment
COMMUNITY2 years ago
Delilah & Company Begins #VibewithUs Event Series
BAE ALL THE WAY3 years ago
Inaugural #IAMABRAND Workshop held in Philadelphia
#inspiNEWS3 years ago
Why Being a ‘Sister’ is Important